Saturday 29 September 2012

Learning english.

The command of the English language came to me from scientific journals and the blues. Blues rock mainly.

Therefore I can use words like percolation and spinodal or decomposition in the same line with

"How unlucky can one man be  
Well every quarter I get now Lord, 
Blackjack takes it away from me"

I can even consider using precipitates and nucleation or shape control of 3d and 1d structures in 

"You don't wash your hair
You don't wash your clothes
What else you don't do
Baby, nobody knows"


Every now and then there is diffusion that jumps in 

"Sweet as sugar, love won't wash away
Rain or shine, it's always here to stay
All these years you and I've spent together
All this, we just couldn't stand the weather"


Imagine this, having a drink, talking randomly about excitation and not ionisation then dropping a line like 

"Ain't no use to hide
Ain't no use to run
'cause I got you in the sight
Of my girly gun"


I found nanotechnology to mingle quite good with the blues. Materials science too. You read and argue, conclude on graphs and analyses and in the end if a material performs differently than expected you add in the discussion something like 

" Got my mojo working, but it just won't work on you" 

Followed by "the results are promising".

Christos Tsotsos is the author of The secret of the elements (just google the title)


No comments:

Post a Comment